1) I think my wife is the strongest, most ethical person I have ever met.
2) I love the company I work for, like what I do, but think that I missed my true calling. I would have been great doing something with my voice such as disc jockey, sports broadcasting, or voice overs. I lacked the drive.
3) I have a man crush on Mike Rowe from “Dirty Jobs”/”Deadliest Catch” and on Bob Brenley, the color announcer for the Chicago Cubs (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
4) Thoroughbred horses are my favorite athletes. They will give everything they’ve got for a bucket of oats. I have seen every Kentucky Derby live or on TV since 1956 except for 1988 and 2006. I also can name every Triple Crown Winner including the year they won it.
5) Muhammad Ali is my hero.
6) If I could have dinner with any five living people they would be Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart, Barack Obama, Leonard Pitts, and Muhammad Ali.
7) If I could have dinner with any five people living or dead they would be Jesus Christ, Leonardo DaVinci, Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, and George Bernard Shaw. Secretariat would be welcome to graze outside.
8) I once was a half decent athlete. I scored 25 points in an intramural college basketball game and bowled a 267. I can still bowl a 267, but it takes me two, maybe three, games to do it.
9) Although we don’t have many mutual interests, I have grown to deeply admire and love my son in law. He is a terrific father, makes my daughter very happy and secure, and works exceptionally hard to provide for them. She couldn’t have done better.
10) My father was one of the most distinctive people in the world. He always wanted to be a gangster but lacked the desire to go to jail. He resorted to petty acts of crime (taking handfuls of matchbooks from banks for example) to satisfy his lust. I love the cinnamon rolls at Holiday Inn Express so if I am staying near one when traveling I will stop in and have breakfast. I call it the “Jack Solomon Memorial Rip-Off”.
11) I was born Jewish but don’t follow it or any organized religion. I wish I could have the peace of mind that comes with a belief in God but that path just doesn’t work for me.
12) I think the ultimate ego trip would be to write a song at my kitchen table and hear it sung by thousands of people at a concert.
13) I think I would rather excel in an individual sport such as tennis or golf than be a member of a team. Yet I would much rather be a member of a band than a solo music artist.
14) I never learned how to ride a bicycle.
Got to have lunch with Muhammad Ali a number of years ago when I was on a photo/video shoot at his horse farm in Michigan. We had lunch in his kitchen. Chili and salad. And Black Forest cake. Apparently, Muhammad has a big sweet tooth. His cook wouldn't let him have dessert until he finished his lunch. At that point his Parkinson's was already pretty debilitating, so he didn't talk, but he was still very cool.
ReplyDelete